- M.S. Biology. Humboldt State University. December 2012.
- Teaching Credential, Preliminary Ryan Single Subject Credential in Biology and General Science with AB 1059 English Learner Content and supplementary authorization in Chemistry and Introductory Math, Humboldt State University, 2003
- Teaching Credential, Professional Clear Multiple Subject Teaching Credential, Humboldt State University, 2004
- Bachelors of Science in Biology with Chemistry Minor, Virginia Tech, May, 1996
- Fortuna Elementary School District Project HISI Director/Math Specialist/Grant Writer (2009-present)
- Bigcone Douglas-fir mapping and inventory project in the San Gabriel Mountain National Monument (2015-present)
- Author and Graphic Designer at Backcountry Press (2011-Present)
- Pedagogy Specialist, Redwood Science Project, Humboldt State University (Sept. 2009-2014)
- Whitebark Pine Conservation Assessments - California Native Plant Society (2013-2014)
- Seventh Grade Math and Science ~ Fifth Grade Multiple Subjects Teacher,
Fortuna Middle School, Fortuna, CA (Sept. 2004-June 2009)
- Naturalist, Los Angeles County Outdoor Science School, Wrightwood, CA (Sept. 1997-Dec. 2002)
- Klamath Mountain Biodiversity (conifer emphasis)
- The Miracle Mile
- Conifers of the Klamath Mountains
- Biogeography (emphasis on Pinus)
- Conifers of the San Gabriel Mountains
- Whitebark Pine
- Bigcone Douglas-fir
- Book Talks
- Conifer Country: A natural history and hiking guide to 35 conifer taxa in the Klamath Mtns.
- Conifers of the Pacific Slope: A field guide to the conifers of CA, OR, and WA
- Citizen Science: an exploration of our relationship to natural history
- Wilderness Areas of the Klamath Mountains
- Conifers & Manzanitas: A story of the flora in the California Floristic Province (in development)
- The Bigfoot Trail: A Botanical Wonderland
- Kauffmann, Michael E., T. Parker, M.l Vasey, J. Bisbee. 2015. Field Guide to Manzanitas. Backcountry Press. Kneeland, California.
- Kauffmann, M.E., S. Taylor, K. Sikes, and J. Evens. 2014. Klamath, Shasta-Trinity, Lassen and Modoc National Forest: Whitebark Pine Pilot Fieldwork Reports. Unpublished reports. California Native Plant Society Vegetation Program, Sacramento, CA.
- Taylor, S., K. Sikes, M. Kauffmann and J. Evens. 2014. Eldorado, Sequoia, and Stanislaus National Forest: Whitebark Pine Pilot Fieldwork Reports. Unpublished reports. California Native Plant Society Vegetation Program, Sacramento, CA.
- Kauffmann, M. 2014. Whitebark Pine Forest Health in California: a guide to common pathogens.
Unpublished report. California Native Plant Society Vegetation Program, Sacramento, CA.
- Kauffmann, Michael. 2013. Conifers of the Pacific Slope. Backcountry Press. Kneeland, California.
- Kauffmann, Michael. 2012. Conifer Country. Backcountry Press. Kneeland, California.
- Adams, R. P. R. Lanner, M. Kauffmann and D. Thornburg. 2011. "Taxonomy of infraspecific taxa of Abies concolor: Leaf essential oils of Abies concolor, var. concolor and var. lowiana" Phytologia 93(2): 208-220. (PDF)
- Adams, R. P., R. Lanner, M. Kauffmann and D. Thornburg. 2011. " Taxonomy of infraspecific taxa of Abies concolor based on DNA sequences from nrDNA and four chloroplast regions." Phytologia 93(2): 221-230. (PDF)
- Adams, R. P. and M. E. Kaufmann. 2010." Geographic variation in the leaf essential oils of Juniperus grandis and comparison with J. occidentalis and J. osteosperma." Phytologia 92(2):167-185. (PDF)
- Adams, R. P. and M. E. Kauffmann. 2010. "Geographic variation in nrDNA and cp DNA of Juniperus californica, J. grandis, J. occidentalis and J. osteosperma (Cupressaceae)." Phytologia 92(2):266-276. (PDF)
Humboldt State University Biodiversity Conference 2012
Return to Conifer Country